Arts Alliance seeks Executive Director
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County is a member-powered organization that serves as an advocate for arts and culture in Sarasota County. Founded in 1986 by a group of committed citizens, the Alliance has administered grants in the tens of millions of dollars to area artists and arts organizations. The Alliance works to ensure arts and culture remain essential to the continuing development of a vibrant, creative community. This is achieved through arts advocacy, education, and community outreach. We are seeking a new Executive Director, to replace the recently retired ED.
The mission of the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota is to power the arts as the central voice and advocate for arts and culture in our community.
The vision of the Arts and Cultural Alliance is to establish Sarasota as THE premiere arts and cultural center of Florida and the Southeast.
Access, Collaboration, Education, Inclusiveness, Integrity, Service, Unity
Executive Director Job Summary
The Executive Director leads all aspects of the organization while engaging actively with the community, donors, funders, and art centric organizations. The position fills the role of the organizational leader, articulating a compelling vision working in partnership with the Board of Directors, developing the strategies and tactics to achieve it. The Executive Director is the public face and advocate for the arts and takes every opportunity to express the organization’s values and aspirations to the outside community while simultaneously positioning Sarasota County as a preeminent cultural destination to national, regional, and international audiences. Under the direction of the Board, the Executive Director plans, organizes, promotes, implements, and evaluates all fundraising and resource development activities, including marketing efforts. Critical to success in this role is the ability to be both creative and strategic in developing multiple sources of fundraising, grants, and revenue. One of the pillars of the alliance, besides advocacy, is the support of arts education in our region.
The Executive Director exercises these duties and responsibilities in a way that reflects and contributes to the organization’s commitment to excellence and integrity throughout all aspects of its operation.
Strategic Vision and Leadership:
- The Executive Director will lead, inspire, and build a strategic plan, along with the Board, which advances the vision and reputation of Sarasota County as a primary destination for imaginative arts education, dynamic programs, engaging events, and rejuvenating performance and visual arts that are in alignment with its mission, vision, and values.
- In alignment with the strategic plan, deliver integrated programs and policies, monitor overall implementation, report on progress, and refresh the plan with the Board as needed.
- Ensure that equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility are at the forefront of the Alliance’s thinking, learning, planning, and growing.
- Embrace other strategic vision and leadership responsibilities, as needed.
- Work closely with local community partners, arts organizations, local government, school systems and economic development entities, to establish partnerships and ensure continued funding and a fair process for cultural grants.
- Align annual advocacy efforts with Florida’s Department of State, Division of Arts and Culture, and the Tourist Development Council (TDC) grant funding needs.
- Identify new opportunities for advocacy and make recommendations to the Board.
- The Arts and Cultural Alliance supports and advocates for arts education in the county school system by convening the meetings and facilitating communication within the Sarasota County Arts Education Partnership (SCAEP).
- In terms of the region wide school system, contribute to the system wide arts curriculum and provide annual programs including the Principals’ Recognition Luncheon, Sarasota Youth Poet Laureate program, and Professional Development Workshops.
- Collaborate with the Community/Schools Partnership for the Arts (C/SPA) in a variety of initiatives, including passage of a referendum to help fund school programs and expand arts education.
Fundraising and Resource Development:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive short and long-term fundraising and resource development plan, including fundraising campaigns and events, membership appeals, grant solicitation, and planned giving opportunities.
- Specifically focus on grant opportunities, current and new, including the TDC, National Alliance for the Arts, and the National Endowment for the Arts organizations, to name a few.
- Secure and administer the TDC (Tourist Development Council) funding for all arts organizations and maintain constant communication with local commissioners.
- Routinely demonstrate the capability to comfortably and personally secure major gifts.
- Coordinate special events with the staff and Board, as needed.
Marketing, Communications, and Community Engagement:
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization to clearly articulate the mission of the organization to the public, media, donors, partners, and all key stakeholders.
- Create and build a marketing and communications plan for the organization, with the goal of attracting new audiences and tourists for arts and culture in Sarasota County.
- Maintain a website that meets the needs of the member organizations and tells our story to prospective funders, members, tourists, and new audiences.
- Attend and speak publicly at events and meetings to communicate arts and culture needs, share culture partner activities and achievements, and educate the public about the economic impact and quality of life that arts and culture contributes to Sarasota County and our school system.
Leadership and Management:
- Act as the chief administrator for the organization, who works to meet best practices, transparency, and leadership.
- Maintain and support a strong Board of Directors and serve as ex-officio of each sub-committee.
- Develop human resource needs and present to the Board for approval, as needed.
- Effectively manages the daily operations and activities of the organization, including staff, contracted services, and volunteers.
- Provide Board with meaningful recommendations regarding staff performance, training, compensation, and benefits.
Budgeting & Finance:
- Provide overall financial leadership for the budget, fundraising, and accounting controls.
- Work closely with members, grantors, funders, and the board to diversify revenue sources for the organization.
- Prepare the annual budget for board approval, with support from a contracted bookkeeper.
- Monitor expenses and revenues and provide monthly reports to the board of directors.
- Evaluate and report financial outcomes annually.
- Our new executive director will have a passion for art and the power of arts and culture to make a positive impact. Ideally, they will bring 5+ years of broad leadership and professional experience with the best qualities of a business and creative mindset.
- Demonstrated success in resource development, including grant writing and monitoring, membership programs and appeals, fundraising and events.
- The successful candidate must show evidence of leadership and accomplishment in the advanced skills of effective management of small- and large-scale, short-and long-term projects, as well as supervision of key stakeholders, people, and programs.
- They must demonstrate resourcefulness in maximizing existing resources, as well as the ability to inspire and articulate the need for their expansion, when appropriate.
- They must demonstrate strong interest in furthering a passion for art for a diverse public, and an ease in communicating with the key stakeholders.
- This individual will have an innate ability to inspire, lead, listen, and organize people into action.
- Experience working with a board of directors with knowledge of board governance best practices.
- Demonstrated proficiency in public speaking, communications, social media, and marketing.
- A solid knowledge of budgeting and financial management.
- Computer literacy skills are necessary, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Minimum education – Bachelor’s degree preferred, and/or commensurate experience.
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of position: 1226 N.Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236
Salary and benefits: $80,000 – $100,000 but will be commensurate with experience. Benefits coverage and PTO will be provided.
To apply, please submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three References (who will be contacted later in the process)
Submit Applications to: EDSearchSACA@gmail.com
Application deadlines: We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. Interested candidates are asked to submit their materials promptly.