Paint Sarasota with Love
A Call for Muralist and Walls
The City of Sarasota was founded on a legacy of art and during times of uncertainty we continue to turn to the arts for comfort and hope. Recently, we experienced the power of art with the success of the Sarasota Heroes mural at 1717 Second Street and its statement of gratitude during the COVID-10 crisis.
The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County is partnering with the City of Sarasota to create a project as part of the City’s Pandemic Recovery Plan. Together we will commission multiple murals throughout the city to convey the circumstances of our times and create positive and healing energy within the community.
If you own a building within the City of Sarasota and would like to be considered to have a mural painted on your building, contact Jim Shirley, Executive Director of the Arts and Cultural Alliance, 941-966-6441 or email@example.com, before June 22, 2020. Owners of the selected buildings will have input on the artist they would like to design their mural, but the final decision will be made by the City.
If you are a local artist who would like the opportunity to paint a mural, please submit up to three relevant examples of your work by June 22, 2020 at 5 PM using the Apply to Paint button below.
Artists will be selected based on their portfolio and then matched with wall space within the City of Sarasota. In addition:
- Artists must be full-time residents of Sarasota County.
Artists or artist groups may apply.
- All works must be new and entirely your own creation.
- Paint and lift equipment will be provided for the artist.
- Fair compensation will be provided to the artist. The amount will be determined based on the size of the mural.
- Finalist will be notified and meet with the committee to discuss during the week of June 29, 2020.
- Selected artists must submit mural design proposals by July 10, 2020. The mural design must be approved by the committee which is comprised of staff from the City of Sarasota, the Arts and Cultural Alliance, and the building owners.
- Painting can begin on July 20, 2020 and must be completed by September 4, 2020.