Sarasota Youth Poet Laureate Program
The Sarasota Youth Poet Laureate program aims to identify young writers and leaders who are committed to civic and community engagement, poetry and performance, and human relations, diversity and social justice across Sarasota, Manatee, DeSoto and Charlotte Counties.
The laureateship is an honorary position held by an emerging poet between the ages of 13 and 19 who is a Sarasota county or surrounding county resident with an interest to be involved in the literary arts community, in volunteer and community service, and in clubs, sports, or other co-curricular activities.
- This student should be between the ages of 13 and 19.
- They must be a county resident who expects to remain in the county between September of 2022 and August of 2023.
- They should also have demonstrated their commitment to literary arts and community engagement through participation in volunteer and community service, clubs, after school activities, and extra academic activities.
- The Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County will administer this program as a regional partner of Urban Word.
- The Youth Poet Laureate will serve a one year term and is expected to participate in at least four public functions.
- The Youth Poet Laureate will receive a $500 stipend, embark on a year of opportunities as an ambassador for literary arts and youth expression and an anthology that includes their work and that of other finalists.